World Sustainable Capitals (WSC) Objectives
The assigned objective of the WSC substantive trans-disciplinary framework is to lead to a more balanced and consistent treatment of the economic, social and environmental dimensions of sustainable development (as well as their relevant disciplines and paradigms).
Sustainable Development encompasses all human activities, including complex interactions among socioeconomic, ecological and physical systems. What is now required is a truly trans-disciplinary framework which will be able to bridge and weave the scientific knowledge from the four disciplines into new concepts and methods to address the many facets of sustainable development (from concept to policy and to definition of indexes to promote best practices). The scope of analysis needs to extend geographically from the global (academic) to the local (practice) scale. Under the WSC umbrella three basic groups (government, civil society and business community) will collaborate to make overall development practices more sustainable by exploring the economy-environment interface and its related socio-cultural linkages.
Together, the three parties (UPC,ADCED and the WEF) will work with a select group of fast-growing global capitals and megacities that are making strategic choices about how best to achieve high standards of living, quality of landscape and environment while managing diversified economic growth in order to build sustainable cities by 2030. With more and more cities planning for a more sustainable future by 2030, there is a need for a tool to monitor and promote progress and share best practices.
As such, the WSC is a valuable knowledge-sharing tool for its members that will:
- Place them at the forefront of responsible sustainable policies by sharing expertise and promoting research tools that will eventually benefit all citizens;
- Make a meaningful contribution towards the global sustainable development debate;
- Position themselves as a worldwide actor and becoming a benchmark for sustainable regulations internationally;
- Project the image of a new mindset and visionary governance to perform with integrity and social responsibility;
- Promote the concept of sustainable responsibility as an opportunity driven by societal challenges instead of corporate obligations;
- Create a new dynamic by licensing and asserting fresh sustainable practices rather than taking refuge in doctrinal guidelines.
- Redefine a clear ambition by reinventing city-planning development in a global and fiercely modern context.
- Explore and dissect the pressing sustainable challenge of the world’s most forward-thinking Capital Cities
UPC in Partnership with ADCED to Present “CitySense” Urban Indicators...